The student news site of Northside High School

The Grizzly Gazette

Homecoming Week Yields Victory for All

Yadira Tobias, Fabiola Gonzalez, and Kiarra Cobin

Homecoming week is something that most students look forward to. Like all homecoming weeks, it kicked off with spirit week

Northside’s Spirit Week began Oct. 3. Spirit week is a chance for students to dress in fun costumes to help increase the student body’s morale for the homecoming game on Friday.

Monday came around and so did Camo day. Students all across the Northside campus pulled out all the camo they could salvage.

hc

Tuesday, otherwise known as Disney day, was by far the most popular day of spirit week. Disney princesses, animals, inanimate objects, and most of all, Mickey look-alikes by the dozen swarmed the halls of Northside High school.

hc3

Wednesday, or Twinkie Day, followed. Although not very many twins go to Northside, you definitely wouldn’t be able to tell on this day. Kids dressed in the same shirt, pants, shoes, jewelry, anything to show they can twin out!

hc2

“The best part about dressing up is that you get to wear something totally different than normal and being able to let your creativity come alive with the spirit day theme,” Jasmine Gonzalez said.

Northside is a school filled to the brim with many different races, cultures and traditions. This fact was perfectly shown on Thursday for Heritage Day. American, Indian, British, African, Scottish, German and so many more cultures were put on display.

Finally, Red and White Day came on Friday. Also on Friday was the homecoming pep-rally.

hc4

“The best part about dressing up was being able to show spirit for  my school and to support Northside. Dressing up was so much fun,” Christia K. said

The Northside High football stadium stands were colored in red and white. On the field, the Northside color guard and choir started off with the national anthem.

Next were golf carts decorated by various student organizations. The homecoming maids were brought in on golf carts as well and escorted to stand on the field in front of the student body.

Sophomore maids included Norma Figueroa, Victoria Garcia, and Ana Rivas.

Junior maids consisted of Carolina Diaz, Makaela Henry, Chavon Kimbrough, Fatima Perez, and Nancy Tran.

Representing the senior maids were Queen Raissa Ames, Claudia Chavez, Jazlyn Hawkins, Willow Mendez, Aysia Nguyen, and Alexsia Ross.

“I was nominated through JROTC and I had a lot of fun doing it. It was a great experience,” senior maid, Alexsia Ross quoted.

While senior Raissa Ames won queen, the Yearbook golf cart won audience appeal for their spirit decorations which sported an oversized Harambe head.

The procession of golf carts was followed by a humorous game of knocker ball between staff members. Finally, the Northside students were sent off with the alma mater.

Ending with a victory, Homecoming Week 2016 was one Northside won’t soon forget.