The student news site of Northside High School

The Grizzly Gazette

Grizzlies Football Season Ends in Quarterfinals

Peyton Carver, Editor

The Northside Grizzlies football team lost to the Bentonville Tigers in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs on Nov. 18.

“I just think things didn’t go well as the game went on,” coach Mike Falleur said.

After only being down 17-10 at halftime, the Grizzlies were shutout in the second half, going on to lose, 31-10.

“We lost 2 of our offensive starters in the first quarter and it really hurt us offensively,” Falleur said.

One of those offensive starters Falleur was talking about was senior offensive lineman, Hayden Brown. Brown was one of the star players on this years team who finished second in the 7-A Central.

Even with an early exit in the playoffs, this was still a very successful season for the Grizzlies. They finished 7-3 overall, 6-1 in the 7-A Central, and dominated arch-rival Southside, winning 52-13.

“I knew we were going to have a good football team because of the character and work ethic of this group,” Falleur said.

The star player of the 2016 Northside Grizzlies was without a doubt, Tre Norwood. Norwood began the season before it even started, committing to play for the Louisville Cardinals next fall.

“Tre is an exceptional athlete…we will miss Tre a bunch next year along with a great senior class,” Falleur said.

Norwood, who is primarily a defensive back, played most of the snaps at quarterback this season as well, and now, is going to be a key piece to the puzzle on the Grizzlies basketball team this winter.

Now that he season is over, the Grizzlies will now have a long offseason ahead of them.

“The challenge is to make sure that each group from here on continues to understand we must work harder to reach the next step.  Thanks for all you do to help with the process,” Falleur said.