The student news site of Northside High School

The Grizzly Gazette

Grizzlies Ready for Second Half of Conference Play

Peyton Carver, Editor

The Northside boys’ basketball team, 13-6 (4-2), is currently sitting in third place in the 7-A Central heading into the bottom half of the conference slate.

The Grizzlies opened up conference play with three straight wins over Little Rock Central, Little Rock Catholic, and Conway, however, they lost their next two, first at home against North Little Rock (69-66), and on the road, at Cabot (55-40). After defeating the former first place Panthers, the Charging Wildcats are currently in first place in the 7-A Central.

“The game against NLR, they beat us 3. That right there just shows you that the conference is tough and we can play with anybody,” coach Eric Burnett said.

Senior forward, Tyrell Perry, who wasn’t very productive in the early part of the season, has really figured things out lately, averaging 20.5 points in the last two games.

“Tyrell has been playing really good here lately… I think the guards do a good job when attacking the basket. They find Tyrell and he does a really good job finishing,” Burnett said.

As previously mentioned, the only two losses that the Grizzlies have suffered during conference play were to the top two teams in the conference, North Little Rock and Cabot. The great thing about the set-up of the 7-A Central is that they get one more shot at each team.

“I feel like our schedule favors us the second half because we have some of the bigger games at home,” Burnett said.

One of those home games will be against Cabot, whom the Grizzlies were outscored by, 31-13 in the second half after being up 27-24 at halftime.

“I hope that game woke us up, that we understand that we have to come out and play the whole game and not just a half,” Burnett said.

Because of a snow-day at the beginning of the month, the Grizzlies will have to play two games against Bryant this week, one home and one away. This includes another weeknight road game tonight. This will be the fourth straight Tuesday night that the Grizzlies have been forced to travel for a game.

“It’s [Tuesday night road trips] been hard, but I think the kids have done a really good job of getting themselves at school on Wednesday,” Burnett said.